Cosmetic Surgery Check List by Dr. Mark Bishara, MD
Dr. Mark Bishara is Harvard Fellowship trained in Aesthetic & Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
If you are one of millions considering cosmetic or plastic surgery, then you may want to review this list, and check it off before having a procedure. Here is a list that can help you prepare before your procedure and during your consultation.
Make sure you do your homework to better understand the benefits, know what to expect from the procedure, recovery time, and associated complications and risks.
Research your surgeon: review plenty of before and after picture of patient cases, and look for consistent outcomes. Make sure your surgeon is experienced, qualified and certified to perform your procedure.
Develop realistic expectations: it is important for patients to have realistic expectations. Discuss your goals in detail with your surgeon to understand what you should expect, anticipated downtime and side effects to reduce disappointing results.
Medical history and evaluation in advance: share your medical history, medications and any health issues in advance. Some surgeries require blood work, and medical imaging results to make sure you are a good candidate for the procedure.
Associated Fees: Cost is a big issue for most patients. Find out if the fee is all inclusive. Anesthesia can make a difference, depending on if the surgeon is using a local or general anesthetic to perform the surgery. Also, most procedures are “outpatient” surgeries performed in accredited surgical suites, within the surgeon’s office or clinic.
Here is a list of questions to ask during your consultation:
- Are you licensed in the state where the procedure is being performed?
- How many of these procedures have you performed?
- Do you have hospital and/or surgery center privileges? Is your facility accredited?
- Am I a good candidate for the procedure?
- What are the possible risks and side effects?
- What technique would you recommend to get optimum results?
- How long will the surgery take and what can I expect during the recovery process?
- How much time should I take off work?
- How much will the procedure cost, total? Do you have finance options and payment plans?
- Do I have the right physical features to get the desired results from this procedure?
- Do you provide detailed instructions to follow, before and after the procedure and in the case of an emergency?
Cosmetic and plastic surgery procedures are a big step. To get the best from this experience, patients who do their homework, ask the right questions and develop realistic expectations are happiest with their results.
Please call the office of Dr. Mark Bishara and The Paragon Med Spa and we would be happy to discuss any questions you may have regarding cosmetic surgery. Our phone number is (817) 473-2120 or please click on the button below.