Be Sun Safe This Vacation Season
I absolutely love taking a sunny excursion when I travel and that's why I want you to know my sun safety tips for a vacation day in the sun. Whether your day in the sun involves having fun on the beach in the Bahamas, climbing the tallest Mayan Temple in the Mexican Yucatan or kayaking through a rain forest, the sun can be brutal. I am generally very religious about sun safety and you should be too. A bad sunburn can absolutely ruin your vacation so make sure you follow these five easy tips before a day in the sun on your vacation.
- Keep in mind the sun is strongest between 10 am and 4 pm.
- Wear clothing that's dark and tightly woven.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
- Remember that UV rays bounce off sand, snow, concrete, and water.
- Do not use sun tanning beds.
- Keep very young children (6 months or less) out of the sun.
- Sunscreens need to be applied liberally and evenly over all exposed areas.
- Apply a sunscreen with a SPF of 15 or higher whenever you're outdoors. To achieve adequate UV protection you should use products that provide broad spectrum protection, which means protection against both UVB and UVA rays. For broad spectrum protection, look for products that provide an SPF of at least 15 and contain ingredients like Avobenzone (Parsol 1789) or zinc oxide.
- For children, the SSA recommends sunscreen with an SPF 30 or higher.
- Apply sunscreen before going outdoors and reapply often.
- Reapply sunscreen after swimming, perspiring, and toweling off.
- Provide complete sunscreen coverage for your skin (including neck, ears and lips!).
- For people with thin or thinning hair, apply sunscreen to the scalp as well.
- And rememberstay in the shade whenever possible!
It's natural to enjoy all kinds of outdoor activities! The Sun Safety Alliance (SSA) encourages you to be safe by following these sun-safety tips year-round to help prevent serious skin damage—and possibly skin cancer—later!This Information is brought to you courtesy of Dr. Bishara and The Paragon Plastic Surgery & Med Spa