Cosmetic Procedures- Laser Skin Rejuvenation
Today’s lasers can diminish many signs of aging — from early wrinkles and age spots to deep lines and spider veins. A laser procedure often can be performed in less than an hour and may require little or no downtime.
Numerous lasers and light devices are used to rejuvenate the skin. These devices are generally grouped into the following categories:
- Non-ablative laser rejuvenation – No downtime. Best for early signs of aging.
- Intense pulsed light (IPL) – Not a laser, this light therapy penetrates deeper into the skin than a non-ablative laser. IPL does not injure the surface of the skin, so there is usually no downtime. IPL can improve skin texture and color as well as reduce pore size.
- Photodynamic therapy (PDT) – This is a two-step procedure. First, a solution that makes the skin more sensitive to light is applied and left on for 30 minutes or longer. Then light from the laser or other source is beamed onto the treated area. Downtime is minimal. PDT decreases redness, reduces age spots and freckles, and improves the overall texture and appearance of the skin.
- Fractional laser rejuvenation – Offers deeper rejuvenation. Recovery time is short. Best for diminishing signs of aging such as age spots, wrinkles, and skin discoloration.
- Ablative laser resurfacing – Heats the skin to cause a visible wound, which means some downtime for recovery. Effective for deeper wrinkles and diminishing aging caused by years of unprotected sun exposure. A type of laser called a fractional ablative laser causes no visible wounds. Fractional ablative laser resurfacing requires less downtime than ablative laser resurfacing.
Signs of Aging Treated
Lasers and other light-based devices are used to treat these concerns:
- Age (sun) spots
- Dark circles under the eye
- Dry, dull skin
- Fine lines
- Hand rejuvenation (age spots, loose skin, and lines)
- Redness and flushing
- Seborrheic keratoses (flat only)
- Skin texture (treats roughness)
- Skin tone (treats mottled complexion and skin discoloration)
- Spider veins
- Stretch marks
- Tattoos (removal)
- Unwanted hair
- Varicose veins
When Do You See Results from Laser Skin Rejuvenation
Improvement is gradual. It may take several months to see the full effects. When a laser that does not require downtime is used, a series of treatments may be necessary to see the desired results. The number of treatments varies from person to person; however, between 3 and 6 treatments is the norm.
Research shows that laser rejuvenation can dramatically reduce fine lines around the eyes and mouth and on the cheeks. With 1 treatment, age spots can be diminished by 50% and may be completely eliminated with follow-up treatments. Laser skin resurfacing can significantly reduce deep lines, effectively remove some shallow scars, and tighten the skin.
While lasers may sound like magic wands, they are not. It is important to have realistic expectations. Laser skin rejuvenation can be effective, but does not work for everyone.
Some skin tightening is possible, but lasers cannot produce the same degree of lifting seen after a surgical facelift or eyelid lift. Wrinkles caused by constant muscle movement such as frown lines can be hard to treat with lasers alone. Another procedure such as botulinum rejuvenation may be used along with a laser to obtain the desired results.
How Long Results Last
It is possible to permanently remove some signs of aging such as a spider vein, age spot, or scar. However, laser skin rejuvenation cannot stop the skin from continuing to age. Crow’s feet may re-appear and new age spots can develop. Because sun exposure accelerates signs of aging, protecting the skin from sun exposure will lengthen the amount of time that the results last. Protecting the skin from the sun also can prevent some signs of aging from re-appearing such as blotchy skin and dark patches.
The office of Dr. Mark Bishara and The Paragon Plastic Surgery & Med Spa offers many laser skin rejuvenation procedures. If you are considering a laser or other light-based treatments to rejuvenate your skin please contact our office and speak with one of our aestheticians to find out more information. Please call (817) 473-2120 or visit our Website at www.MarkBisharaMD.com.